not enough USB resources error with the docking station

Anonymous
2015-02-18T16:51:23+00:00

Split from this thread.

Was there ever resolution to this? I've got a surface pro 3 with the microsoft dock and have the same error. No hubs, no usb display ports, just the dock ports and am getting the same error.

I'm in the same boat. Running Surface Pro 3 i5 w/ the docking station. Have a all of my USB devices plugged in directly through the docking station and I get this error on a regular basis (typically when I'm plugging in my USB headset). For a while I though it was my StarTech.com MST hub for my monitors seeing how I hadn't had this problem until I started using it - but that plugs into the Mini Display Port and shouldn't have anything to do with USB resources, correct?

I have a few other strange things that happen on a regular basis. Sometimes I'm unable to even log into my machine seeing how I get a resource error issue and have to fully reboot. Wondering if this is related. Sometimes my graphics driver (suspecting the Startech MST hub as the culprit) comes to a halt and I can't watch anything video related  (even Youtube etc.) as the machine can't handle it. Lastly, I'm frequently battling with constant flickering (that lasts 2-5 seconds) with my two external displays that are connected to the MST hub.

I work for Microsoft and am going to post this thread (and the other one) into our Yammer site to see if I can get any hits.

Surface | Surface Pro | USB-C

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-09-11T19:43:42+00:00

Hello VicCooper142,

Thank you for posting to the Microsoft Community. I am sorry for the inconvenience. Rest assured, I am here to help.

Please do try the following:

  • With the Surface connected to the Docking Station and network, unplug the Docking Station from the power outlet, leave it unplugged for 30 seconds to a minute, then plug it back and try to see if you have audio and USB functionality.
  • While the Docking Station is connected to the Surface pro 3, please check for Windows updates one last time,.
  • Do you have the possibility to test a different Surface Pro Docking Station? If you have a Microsoft Store in your area, please try to do so. This is the best way to determine if the issue is indeed with the Docking station or hardware related.

 Additionally, please read the following support article:

If the issue persists after the performing the previous steps, we highly suggest you contact our Technical Support Team for further help and options.

Depending on what is most convenient for you, you can:

  1. Open a service request yourself, using our **Online Service Center**
  2. Contact our Technical Support team**here**

We hope this helps. Please let us know!

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-03-05T18:13:09+00:00

    Nothing has changed here. Still cannot link more than 8 devices. 

    A quick way for Microsoft to make me go to another laptop and fling my ( up to now ) favorite device is to not correct this problem. Sad that its been going on so long.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-03-13T19:21:43+00:00

    Hi all,

    Thank you all for sharing your experiences here. We would like to gather more information.

    1. What accessories are connected to the USB ports on the docking station?
    2. Among these accessories, what accessories are using their own power source?
    3. Among these accessories, what accessories are using the docking station as the power source?
    4. Other information you want to share with us.

    If you have a chance, please reply back and let us know.

    Kind regards,

    Clare

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-03-13T19:54:12+00:00

    On my systems I have tried both with and without the dock.

    1 seven port pluggable powered usb hub and attached to that three non powered usb 3 hard drives and three powered usb 3 hard drives, Kensington trackball, creative sound blaster. I get not enough controllers as soon as I try and plug another device in. If I try just powered hard drives I still get the same error. If I try and daisy chain two 7 port powered hubs or even a 4 port powered hub as soon as I hit the 8 devices it gives me the error. I have even tried plugging each powered hub into the dock and it fails also.

    I have a surface pro 2 at work and I have tried it also with and without a different dock and I get the exact same problem.

    Hope this helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-03-23T19:44:37+00:00

    Split from this thread.

    I had been receiving the same issue with my Surface Pro 3 dock and MSFT support ended up sending me a whole new dock that still didn't work. I have unplugged every USB device plugged into the dock except my external sound card and I still get the "Not Enough USB Controller Resources" error, and no sound plays. Device is detected alright and when I open the Playback Devices menu I can see the equalizer bars move as if sound is playing but nothing comes out my speakers. Has it really been over a year with no solution or have a missed a thread buried in the forums?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments