No, my understanding is this can be fixed by buying a powered USB 3.0 hub. They are not expensive and can be purchased from amazon.
Nope...
See this post from Page 2 of the thread:
"Hello,
This is Josh at Plugable Technologies. We've been working with Microsoft behind the scenes and rest assured they are aware an issue exists. That being said, when and if we will see a solution is hard to say. We don't have any direct involvement in driver
development, but we've been reporting our findings to Microsoft and hopefully they will be able to analyze the data and come up with a solution.
We're involved mainly because our primary product line is comprised of USB docking stations and hubs and we have run into this issue. (It also helps that we're basically next door neighbors as we're both located in Bellevue, WA).
At first we suspected it might have been an issue with the firmware on our hub chipsets but after many different test cases we have narrowed this down to what we believe is a driver issue. This issue does not appear to happen on Windows 7 but can eventually
be reproduced on the same computer with Windows 8 equipped with an Intel USB 3.0 controller. You just need enough USB devices to make it happen.
My main workstation is a 128GB Surface Pro 2 and I too have run into this issue many times. I have to be very selective about what devices I have attached. I believe the reason us Surface users see the issue is because almost every device in the Surface
Pro 2 is attached through USB. I've also had this issue happen on an older Sony Vaio but far less frequently (less built in USB devices).
- Bluetooth
- WiFi
- Audio
- Touch sensor
- Gyro sensor
- Ambient light sensor
- Micro SD reader
- Front webcam
- Rear webcam
I'm sure I'm forgetting some other possibilities...
I currently have the following connected to my Surface:
- Plugable UD-3900 universal docking station
- Plugable USB3-HUB4AC1 4 port USB 3.0 hub
- Plugable PSS-SDH1 hard drive dock with integrated 4 port USB 3.0 hub
- Two flash drives, keyboard, mouse
- USB 2.0 external touch screen DisplayLink monitor
By my count here is the total number of actual devices (including hub chipsets) attached:
- DisplayLink DL-3900 chipset - integrated dual video outputs, gigabit Ethernet, & audio controller (UD-3900 dock)
- VIA 811+ 4 port USB 3.0 hub (UD-3900 dock)
- Terminus 4 port USB 2.0 hub (UD-3900 dock)
- VIA 812 B2 USB 3.0 hub (USB3-HUB4AC1 hub)
- VIA 812 USB 3.0 hub (PSS-SDH1 dock/hub combo)
- ASMedia ASM1051e SATA to USB (PSS-SDH1 dock/hub combo)
- Sandisk Extreme 16GB USB 3.0 flash drive
- Plugable USB2-OTGTF Micro SD card reader
- Keyboard
- Mouse
- DisplayLink DL-125 chipset (for the additional touch screen display)
- Touch screen HID device (for the additional touch screen display)
Excluding hub chipsets, I only have 8 devices attached externally. If I try to attach just one more device, I get the resources error. It doesn't seem to matter if I attach a USB 2.0 or 3.0 device. It appears to be a total device limit.
I'm not sure what we've learned here, this is just a lunchtime ramble."