not enough USB resources error with the docking station

Anonymous
2015-02-18T16:51:23+00:00

Split from this thread.

Was there ever resolution to this? I've got a surface pro 3 with the microsoft dock and have the same error. No hubs, no usb display ports, just the dock ports and am getting the same error.

I'm in the same boat. Running Surface Pro 3 i5 w/ the docking station. Have a all of my USB devices plugged in directly through the docking station and I get this error on a regular basis (typically when I'm plugging in my USB headset). For a while I though it was my StarTech.com MST hub for my monitors seeing how I hadn't had this problem until I started using it - but that plugs into the Mini Display Port and shouldn't have anything to do with USB resources, correct?

I have a few other strange things that happen on a regular basis. Sometimes I'm unable to even log into my machine seeing how I get a resource error issue and have to fully reboot. Wondering if this is related. Sometimes my graphics driver (suspecting the Startech MST hub as the culprit) comes to a halt and I can't watch anything video related  (even Youtube etc.) as the machine can't handle it. Lastly, I'm frequently battling with constant flickering (that lasts 2-5 seconds) with my two external displays that are connected to the MST hub.

I work for Microsoft and am going to post this thread (and the other one) into our Yammer site to see if I can get any hits.

Surface | Surface Pro | USB-C

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-09-11T19:43:42+00:00

Hello VicCooper142,

Thank you for posting to the Microsoft Community. I am sorry for the inconvenience. Rest assured, I am here to help.

Please do try the following:

  • With the Surface connected to the Docking Station and network, unplug the Docking Station from the power outlet, leave it unplugged for 30 seconds to a minute, then plug it back and try to see if you have audio and USB functionality.
  • While the Docking Station is connected to the Surface pro 3, please check for Windows updates one last time,.
  • Do you have the possibility to test a different Surface Pro Docking Station? If you have a Microsoft Store in your area, please try to do so. This is the best way to determine if the issue is indeed with the Docking station or hardware related.

 Additionally, please read the following support article:

If the issue persists after the performing the previous steps, we highly suggest you contact our Technical Support Team for further help and options.

Depending on what is most convenient for you, you can:

  1. Open a service request yourself, using our **Online Service Center**
  2. Contact our Technical Support team**here**

We hope this helps. Please let us know!

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-09-12T21:56:29+00:00

    Did have this issue about 3 weeks ago with my Sennheiser PC26 headset. Issue has now disappeared..

    We had all these updates in the past weeks, maybe they settled the issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-09-11T20:45:36+00:00

    It is also a problem with the Surface Pro 2, for which Microsoft has decided is a "feature" which doesn't require a fix. I gave up momths ago after reporting this to Microsoft in December 2013.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-09-11T20:14:02+00:00

    Hi Ben_Mk

    If you read the original thread you'll see that it's a general issue with the USB 3 driver in Windows 8/8.1. People proved this on other machines by switching those USB3 ports to be USB2 in the BIOS - we can't do this on Surface devices however...

    The other thread also discusses how you can fix it by replacing the Windows 8 drivers with Windows 7 drivers, however this also doesn't work on Surface devices because when USB is disabled half way through the process, there is no way to continue the process and install the old Windows 7 drivers since Surface uses USB for *all* input devices.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-08-24T22:18:00+00:00

    Split from this thread.

    I have a Surface Pro 3 512GB and just got the Surface Pro 3 dock. I am getting the "not enough USB resources" when I connect an external (Native Instruments Audio 2 MK2) sound card. With the Audio 2 attached I cannot get sound to play out of the Docking Station Audio Device. So the problem is not just limited to the Surface Pro 2

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments