There are no handwriting options for this language - SP4/Win10

Anonymous
2016-04-11T00:58:38+00:00

Hello, 

I have a Surface Pro 4 with windows 10 using Australia English. When I download language packs it comes up with "there are no handwriting options for your language" I have the location and date set to Aus but still nothing. I am able to write using the pen pad keyboard but I am unable to correct any letters that the computer doesn't recognize. 

This is the same no matter what language I have it set (English - USA)

Any help would be much appreciated. 

Cheers

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Surface | Surface Pro | Performance and maintenance

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-01-20T03:10:43+00:00

    Hello,

    I have got the same problem at the beginning and took me a while to realise that was actually a fake message. I have got "There are no handwriting option for this language" message at the Chinese language option.  

    However, I found out we don't need to download anything but just choose to "Show touch keyboard".

    Steps to use the handwriting:

    1. Open the application when you want to use handwriting, e.g. a search engine or notepad
    2. Switch to the language that you want to do handwriting, in my case Chinese
    3. At the task bar, click at the keyboard symbol (if you don't see it, right click at the task bar and select "Show touch keyboard button)
    4. At the touch keyboard, you should be able to see a keyboard layout on the screen, at the right bottom corner, click at the "change input method" icon. 
    5. Select the symbol with a board and a pen. 
    6. Now, the keyboard on the screen will change to handwriting pad on the screen. 
    7. Start writing with the mouse or touch pad on your computer with pressing down the left button.

    We actually do not need to download anything and I still have the "There no handwriting option for this language" But as long as I can see the touch screen, it works for me. I have done the handwritten recognition test as well before I found this solution, not sure if that was actually necessary.  

    Good luck !

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-01-20T07:13:45+00:00

    Screen 1 of 0 for English (United States).

    No handwriting option listed for other languages.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-01-20T09:44:06+00:00

    Are you talking about handwriting PERSONALIZATION? From what you write it seems to me that you are simply pointing out that we can still use the pen as an input device. But that, as far as I can see, was never in dispute/is not the problem. The problem is that it is not possible anymore to train the device to learn your handwriting because handwriting PERSONALIZATION  does not work. I cant see how any of your 7 steps are helping with this. Do you NOT get "screen 1 of 0" in handwriting personalization?

    (Sorry if I missed something.)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-01-20T14:09:14+00:00

    So sorry, I didn't look at the details carefully and it meant to be for another thread. Sorry about that.....

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2017-01-21T04:05:27+00:00

    G'day Amit,

    Some answers for you.

    1. Through the usual method - see my previously posted screenshots.
    2. See messages in my sequenced screenshots
    3. Yes, am logged into Microsoft Account
    4. No, it's a standard Surface Pro 4 with all the updates

    Thank you for your help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments