How can I update my Surface Book 2 drivers for NVIDIA Geforce GTX1050

Anonymous
2019-06-19T00:59:41+00:00

When I start Adobe Premiere Pro I get this message :

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 v.23.21.13.9140

1.    The current version of your NVIDIA graphics driver may not suitably support CUDA 9.2 and may cause issues for Adobe Premiere Pro. We recommend updating to a newer version for optimal performance and stability. Continuing with an older version of the NVIDIA graphics driver may run in software-only mode and may cause slow playback and other issues that may appear to be a bug.

    URL: https://helpx.adobe.com/nz/premiere-pro/kb/gpu-and-gpu-driver-requirements-for-premiere-pro.html

So I tried to install the latest version of the drivers from NVIDIA but it seems that it can be done only through windows update.

Therefore I cannot use Adobe Premiere Pro because video is not rendered (only one frame some time...)

I have some friends having Dell and the drivers updates are more "up to date".

Will Microsoft soon give us a proper update for this driver ?

Surface | Surface Book | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-01-04T22:03:45+00:00

    This right here. Of course I could always install drivers directly from Nvidia and hope that they work, but in my experience, they cause a lot of crashing issues and weird behavior. And honestly, I paid for a working machine, not for a tech-support puzzle. It's just really weird how they can't solve this. They picked the parts, made the machine, they provide the OS, and they insist on delivering the updates through Windows Update. Certainly they should have devs available to support the hardware, or if not, that's just sad.

    As there haven't been any answers or solution to this issue from Microsoft, I'm starting the legal route on 14th of January 2020, when most people  are back from winter vacation etc. Unless they at least give a solid answer where they are with the issue. At this point, I'm doing this just out of spite, because this is not how you treat paying customers. Especially the ones that bought your "high-end" hardware for professional use.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-01-12T21:40:49+00:00

    I've been suffering a lot of BSOD of late, like one every other day or so. I decided to do a complete wipe and reinstall. I got a BSOD during the "setting up your computer" phase of the new install and it listed the video timeout as the culprit.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-01-12T21:54:18+00:00

    so there's no escape from BSOD because you can get it with approved drivers and if you are a content creator using creative cloud apps, you have no choice but to install something more current than what's officially offered or else..

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-01-16T15:12:12+00:00

    I've been having a long discussion with a very helpful person from Microsoft Finland. They actually went to get same model of SB2 during our first discussion just to verify that yes, the "latest" drivers that are officially available are dated 2018. After that we've been going back and forth finding solutions and reasons for why this issue is happening. Also got referred to business support, and multiple people got involved.

    Now, like some others have said in this topic,

    the only solution that is even remotely workable is to install Nvidia Studio Drivers (DCH version) directly from Nvidia, and to also install Geforce experience (don't know why, they suggested it and it helped with the crashes). Also, DCH version requires the installation of Nvidia control panel from Microsoft Store, but it's free.

    They also got information that Nvidia is aware of some compatibility issues and are trying to fix them as fast as possible. So it seems this is not just on Microsoft. Granted, they should inform users better and push updates through windows update so that the latest driver isn't showing a date from 2018 in device manager.

    I got lucky that after several tries met with silence, the person finally helping me is awesome and willing to go further than needed. They even mailed me after a few days to ask if I still was experiencing issues or were they solved, and kept me updated on that they haven't stopped looking into the matter. I'm more than willing to work together with someone like this to find a solution, even if it means losing some of my billable hours.

    Still. Not entirely happy that I need to do troubleshooting on machine this expensive, as this wouldn't likely happen with say, a Macbook Pro, but it was still enough that the machine is now sort-of working. Meaning I can do my job on it if I just save often. Which is better than it being a fancy paper weight. So at the moment, I don't have to pursue any legal routes, which is a relief.

    I also suspect that this issue is not more widely reported because (maybe?) majority of the users are not using Premiere/After Effects or other heavily affected programs. It seems that Photoshop, Illustrator and Lightroom work just fine regarding this specific issue, and even the new Fresco painting program works mostly without problems.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-02-08T04:42:13+00:00

    Did you start a legal route? I'd support that. No patience for an $$$ laptop for creatives that can't function for industry standard creative software.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments