Just an update to my previous post. Nvidia just released version 440.97 and successfully installed the v440.97 on my sb2 15" without any error.
How can I update my Surface Book 2 drivers for NVIDIA Geforce GTX1050
When I start Adobe Premiere Pro I get this message :
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 v.23.21.13.9140
1. The current version of your NVIDIA graphics driver may not suitably support CUDA 9.2 and may cause issues for Adobe Premiere Pro. We recommend updating to a newer version for optimal performance and stability. Continuing with an older version of the NVIDIA graphics driver may run in software-only mode and may cause slow playback and other issues that may appear to be a bug.
URL: https://helpx.adobe.com/nz/premiere-pro/kb/gpu-and-gpu-driver-requirements-for-premiere-pro.html
So I tried to install the latest version of the drivers from NVIDIA but it seems that it can be done only through windows update.
Therefore I cannot use Adobe Premiere Pro because video is not rendered (only one frame some time...)
I have some friends having Dell and the drivers updates are more "up to date".
Will Microsoft soon give us a proper update for this driver ?
Surface | Surface Book | Display and screen
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
43 answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2019-10-23T13:17:45+00:00 -
Anonymous
2019-12-07T01:59:46+00:00 This is all kinds of ridiculous. It's been months and this issue hasn't been fixed by Microsoft. I mean, the machine (SB2 1TB with GTX1060, the top model) was roughly 4000€ where I live, and it won't even work with the programs I need it to (meaning Adobe Premiere Pro / After Effects) without errors and crashes. Just did a fresh install too, just to clean things up. Not that it matters when it comes to up-to-date drivers.
It can't be that hard to update the dGPU driver for them. I mean, I understand if it takes a week or two, but several months is ridiculous.
Every time I've tried to install drivers directly from nVidia, despite lot of people warning against it, I end up having weird issues and crashes, so that doesn't seem like a good solution. It's the responsibility of Microsoft to provide a working driver in a timely manner.
I'm at a point that I'm thinking about filing a claim with the local competition and consumer authority to get compensated for the loss of working time and not being able to use this machine as it was intended. It seems that Microsoft is completely unable to deliver even the basic functionality on their machines, even though they selected and sold the hardware and provide the OS, so it should just work. I think I'll give it few more weeks, and if this isn't solved by the start of 2020, then I'll be taking legal action. Luckily Microsoft TOS doesn't have any weight against consumer protection (as one can't sign away their legal protections in many EU countries), and the product is not working as intended and in a way that the user can reasonably assume it to work. (I mean, this is a textbook case of "Product not working as is reasonably assumed to be its normal usage").
I honestly don't know what else one could do at this point when a company like MS is just flat out refusing to fix their product and not even giving an official statement or some kind of timeframe when this might be fixed. The same old "just download from nVidia" is not good enough.
So, Microsoft: Do your job, update the drivers and provide an actual, stable and working solution.
-
Anonymous
2019-12-17T02:28:07+00:00 I can confirm that what some of the others have posted - Installing the Nvidia Geforce Experience works and has worked for me for about a month. As someone that bought the 15" Surface Book 2 with VERY high end specs (like almost $4K) I am beyond disappointed. A professional photographer and videographer does NOT want to spend months BEGGING their hardware manufacturer to make their equipment actually usable with pro apps. After all, that is who MS targeted with this equipment.
After the October update (which was a spring update for everyone else except the SB owners) things worked and all was well with Premiere and the other Adobe apps, especially those that use CUDA. Then Adobe released the 2020 version and we're right back to this mess. IF you're reading this and considering a Microsoft built PC - DON'T. They lock you out of updating on your own. You MUST use their update tool. For now, the GeForce utility is working but I'm super nervous about that being rolled back or blocked soon.
Stupid me. Microsoft - YOU WILL NEVER, EVER GET ANOTHER EQUIPMENT PURCHASE FROM ME BECAUSE OF YOUR MISHANDLING OF THIS SITUATION.
-
Anonymous
2019-12-17T10:41:08+00:00 I feel the same. I purchase this "high end" machine, hoping to have a good "creative tool" but i spend my time trying to solve technical problems. I'm a motion designer and I need a least that the adobe programs runs correctly (I ask too much?). The overall machine works quite well and the touch screen/pen is really good. But if I spent 1000$ more to have the biggest config and a good graphics card but it's almost unused, It's right that is clearly a case of "Product not working as is reasonably assumed to be its normal usage".
I want to have a least a official answers to this issues by Microsoft.
-
Anonymous
2019-12-25T22:45:26+00:00 I too am very frustrated by this. Why did I purchase a "high end" machine, only to be in this situation ? Dear Microsoft - when do you plan to address this ?