How can I update my Surface Book 2 drivers for NVIDIA Geforce GTX1050

Anonymous
2019-06-19T00:59:41+00:00

When I start Adobe Premiere Pro I get this message :

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 v.23.21.13.9140

1.    The current version of your NVIDIA graphics driver may not suitably support CUDA 9.2 and may cause issues for Adobe Premiere Pro. We recommend updating to a newer version for optimal performance and stability. Continuing with an older version of the NVIDIA graphics driver may run in software-only mode and may cause slow playback and other issues that may appear to be a bug.

    URL: https://helpx.adobe.com/nz/premiere-pro/kb/gpu-and-gpu-driver-requirements-for-premiere-pro.html

So I tried to install the latest version of the drivers from NVIDIA but it seems that it can be done only through windows update.

Therefore I cannot use Adobe Premiere Pro because video is not rendered (only one frame some time...)

I have some friends having Dell and the drivers updates are more "up to date".

Will Microsoft soon give us a proper update for this driver ?

Surface | Surface Book | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2019-06-19T01:21:14+00:00

    Which type of software package do you use ? Is it a bought version, with disk and    full licence (lifetime use) or the newer cloud edition (rent an app) ? There has been some talk that  Adobe is no longer supporting some of the non cloud versions and this may be why you are getting these messages. If that is not the case then move on down below.

    Go into the search box next to the Windows start icon.

    type

    Device Manager

    In the window that pops up will be a Display Adaptersentry.

    Press arrow to enter the device settings and right click the Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050device option.

    From the pop up menu select update drivers (make sure you are connected to the internet !)

    You will then get the latest drivers from the Microsoft repository.

    If you do not get an update you can straight to the source and download Nvidia drivers from the support page on Nvidia's support web page.

    You will need to get notebook specific driver package, use the options below (DCH only the other installer will not work !). Also use the Creator Ready option and not the Game Ready as shown below (Download Type), these drivers are optimised for Adobe and other media software.

    Keep in mind that Microsoft probably hasn't tested/approved these drivers, but they probably work just fine, so set a backup/recovery checkpoint before installing, just in case !

    Was this answer helpful?

    10 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-01-04T22:03:45+00:00

    This right here. Of course I could always install drivers directly from Nvidia and hope that they work, but in my experience, they cause a lot of crashing issues and weird behavior. And honestly, I paid for a working machine, not for a tech-support puzzle. It's just really weird how they can't solve this. They picked the parts, made the machine, they provide the OS, and they insist on delivering the updates through Windows Update. Certainly they should have devs available to support the hardware, or if not, that's just sad.

    As there haven't been any answers or solution to this issue from Microsoft, I'm starting the legal route on 14th of January 2020, when most people  are back from winter vacation etc. Unless they at least give a solid answer where they are with the issue. At this point, I'm doing this just out of spite, because this is not how you treat paying customers. Especially the ones that bought your "high-end" hardware for professional use.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-12-17T02:28:07+00:00

    I can confirm that what some of the others have posted - Installing the Nvidia Geforce Experience works and has worked for me for about a month.  As someone that bought the 15" Surface Book 2 with VERY high end specs (like almost $4K) I am beyond disappointed.  A professional photographer and videographer does NOT want to spend months BEGGING their hardware manufacturer to make their equipment actually usable with pro apps.  After all, that is who MS targeted with this equipment.

    After the October update (which was a spring update for everyone else except the SB owners) things worked and all was well with Premiere and the other Adobe apps, especially those that use CUDA.  Then Adobe released the 2020 version and we're right back to this mess.  IF you're reading this and considering a Microsoft built PC - DON'T.  They lock you out of updating on your own.  You MUST use their update tool.  For now, the GeForce utility is working but I'm super nervous about that being rolled back or blocked soon.

    Stupid me.  Microsoft - YOU WILL NEVER, EVER GET ANOTHER EQUIPMENT PURCHASE FROM ME BECAUSE OF YOUR MISHANDLING OF THIS SITUATION.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-08-12T15:57:09+00:00

    I've got exactly the same problem, with Adobe Lightroom 6 (perpetual) on the Surface Book 2, 15", 16Gb ram, running Windows 1903 - fully updated.

    NVidia driver randomly stops working, and I need to reboot to get it working again, but if fails again after about 5mins using Lightroom.

    From what I've read elsewhere about the Surface Book 2, there is a significantelectrical problem in that there is not enough voltage to power the GTX 1060 graphics card.  The card is power hungry (obviously) and even when connected to mains power, the battery drains when the GTX 1060 card + NVidia driver is in use - you can check this by checking the % power remaining on the battery whilst plugged in.

    I can only think that the 1903 update of Windows has increased the power drain from Windows, which is exacerbating the power issue, which is causing the crashes to happen more frequently.

    I'm stuck on what to do - I can only think to send the Surface Book 2 back, and purchase a proper laptop.  I don't think Microsoft will be able to fix this issue via a driver or software update.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-06-19T07:04:25+00:00

    I get this message :

    "This NVIDIA graphics driver is not compatible with this version of Windows"

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments