Surface Laptop very slow wireless connection

Anonymous
2018-03-17T11:05:26+00:00

Just bought a Surface laptop. windows and drivers are all updated. when i put it next to my lenovo thinkpad and connect to same wifi, i am getting 1/3 of the speed. I did multiple tests with same results. I searched all over the web to find an answer but nothing came up like mine.

processor :i7-7660U CPU @ 2.50 ghz

memory :16 ram

os: windows 10 pro 1709 (os build  16299.309)

Surface | Surface Laptop | Network

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

52 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-02-07T19:50:56+00:00

    I have a Surface Pro 4 and a Pro 6. After turning off Bluetooth my Upload speed increased by 3X on both Surfaces. Not using Bluetooth is not an acceptable option. Has someone provided an answer?

    Having the same issue as all above. Disabling/re-enabling the marvell avastar device fixed the issue temporarily, as did shutting off bluetooth. Nothing else seems to work. Other computers/phones on the same network show higher connection speed.

    Microsoft? Anyone? Seems this is a common issue effecting 1st gen surface laptops.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-01-18T23:25:09+00:00

    I have a Surface Pro 4 and a Pro 6. After turning off Bluetooth my Upload speed increased by 3X on both Surfaces. Not using Bluetooth is not an acceptable option. Has someone provided an answer?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-01-09T06:32:25+00:00

    I also tried this and it boosted my speed from 3 to 25mbps

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2018-12-19T13:16:22+00:00

    Try turning off Bluetooth.  I was having the same issue and this solved the problem.  Download speeds went from 3mb to 40mb

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2018-11-26T17:35:04+00:00

    here's a handy batch file you can use to do this.  put this into a file like "wifi.bat", then create a shortcut to the batch file to pin to your start menu and then you can fix your speed with one click in the start menu.

    netsh interface set interface Wi-Fi disable

    netsh interface set interface Wi-Fi enable

    you might need to change change the name of "Wi-Fi" to the interface in your notebook if it is different.  (open your start menu and type "network status", open it, and choose "view your network properties" and look for the interface with the description "Marvell AVASTAR Wireless.."  But I expect it is "Wi-Fi" in 99% of cases.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments