Surface Laptop very slow wireless connection

Anonymous
2018-03-17T11:05:26+00:00

Just bought a Surface laptop. windows and drivers are all updated. when i put it next to my lenovo thinkpad and connect to same wifi, i am getting 1/3 of the speed. I did multiple tests with same results. I searched all over the web to find an answer but nothing came up like mine.

processor :i7-7660U CPU @ 2.50 ghz

memory :16 ram

os: windows 10 pro 1709 (os build  16299.309)

Surface | Surface Laptop | Network

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

52 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-03-27T16:00:27+00:00

    I struggled with this same issue for months and couldn't find a permanent solution - everything I tried only improved WiFi speed temporarily.

    I have now found a permanent solution - configure Surface Laptop to only use the 2.4 GHz

    If your WiFi router offers the ability to setup separate 2.4 GHz & 5 GHz networks, connect your Surface Laptop to the 2.4 GHz network instead of the 5 GHz.

    If your WiFi router doesn't offer this functionality, you can configure the wireless network card to only use 2.4 GHz within the Device Manager properties - set the BAND option under Advanced to "2.4 GHz only".

    All my performance issues went away once I gave up on using 5 GHz - this is unfortunate since 5 GHz does offer the potential for greater speeds, but at least my connection speeds no longer drop down to nothing on a regular basis anymore...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-01-01T05:41:02+00:00

    I have a 300Mbps download speed for my home cable internet plan.

    All of our devices get ~240Mbps on wifi (my hard-connected PC actually gets ~330 Mbps) but on my Surface 3 am getting ~80Mbps.

    However when I switch the speed test from IPv6 to IPv4 my Surface 3 gets ~240, right in line with my other devices.

    (I have 5Ghz wireless.)

    Would I be correct in assuming that Microsoft's preference for IPv6 isn't compatible in some way with the Surface hardware? Regardless, can I set my Surface preference to IPv4?

    Any advice would be much appreciated.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-11-14T17:05:45+00:00

    i am also having the same problem. Any help to increase the speed is appreciated.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-08-19T16:10:29+00:00

    Hello. I was having the same problem with my new Surface laptop. All other devices were running just fine on my WiFi, but the Surface laptop was very slow. This is my first experience with Windows 10 and the navigation and look of things is significantly different that the versions I am familiar with, so I was slow to interpret the various task bar icons. However, I did notice a little cloud in the task bar that seemed to be indicating activity. It was OneDrive. I had copied over about 5 GB of files from my old laptop via an external hard drive. OneDrive was syncing the files. Once I paused OneDrive, everything worked fine and the internet was moving at normal speed. It seems a lot of folks in this thread are more technically savvy than me and if that was your issue, you would probably would have figured it out, but in case anyone with my issue is reading this, this might help solve their problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2019-06-17T05:14:04+00:00

    Ok, I think I finally found a legit solution to this problem. I have a surface laptop 2 and have had it for about 6 months and I noticed that my internet speed basically sucked (was getting about 20 Mbps, but sometimes managed only 1 or 2)  even when my brother's HP laptop was getting 100+ Mbps. I followed what everyone had said in this forum as well as others, like reinstalling drivers and changing battery settings, but I still only got around 30 Mbps at best. But then I just looked up some basic tutorials on how to increase wifi speeds, and came across TCPOptimizer. Basically, you can mess with router settings from your computer (I think). It increased my speeds from 25 to 75 Mbps, which is a massive improvement if you ask me. Here's a link to the video if you want to try it yourself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAke9R-k3so

    *Side note:*If you know what speed you should be getting, then with the slider setting in the first menu, set it to what you should get instead of what you are getting (it will make sense if you watch the video). For example, if you are getting 12 Mbps but your other laptop is getting 80 Mbps, then set the slider to 80, not 12.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments