I was originally using an option on the router called "Band Steering Enabled" which uses the same wifi network name for both 5 & 2.4 bands and directs the device based on what it can handle. So then I split it out to seperate wifi network names. At first it looked like it was a problem with the 2.4 band, so I removed that network and tried the 5. Same issue occurred. When you reboot, the issue is fixed, but then after a while it happens again.
It got to a point where I was having to reboot too frequently, so I took the plunge reset the laptop and reloaded everything. Which is really only Office 365, Teams, Notepad ++, Gimp, Chrome, Visio & Project. Looked like it was solved for a couple of days. Then started happening again.
I just gave up and used an Airport Express I had lying around, which effectively works in Bridge mode. Maybe the Airport Express has a better antenna or something. Some WiFi extenders have a lan port, and you can do the same thing. I just need it to be reliable, and can't afford the problems these days when I'm trying to work from home.
Thing is, that the Surface Laptop WiFi has been flawless for a year, no problems. I first noticed on a wifi network in the office and then the same on the one at home.
I also suspect it's some environmental cause, but my MacBook Pro, NUC, Rapberry Pi, iPad, Galaxy Tab S6 all get used in the same locations on WiFi and they seem fine.