Surface Pro has no sound when external display is connected

Anonymous
2013-02-20T08:38:59+00:00

When I have an external monitor connected via the mini displayport on the Surface Pro, there is no sound played through the Surface's speakers.  I have plug in speakers into the mini audio out.  Does the mini-dp on Surface support audio and is trying to output audio?  I'm currently using a mini-dp to displayport cable, and would prefer the option to choose whether the sound is being piped through the mini-dp or continue through the Surface's speakers.

Surface | Surface Pro | USB-C

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-02-20T09:09:09+00:00

If you open the playback devices in the sound icon on the taskbar, you should be able to select the desired output device. It is likely to switch to the digital out when connected with the digital video out.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-10-27T19:11:01+00:00

    Yes, that is all a workaround to get to some sound, however still does not resolve the fact that MS is presenting a device that is broken (the external screen/TV) and that requires user interaction to fix/disabled it.

    It should just be working. And this issue is not new, it has been around for a few years and has been discussed in various forums for years without fix from MS.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-09-27T19:15:10+00:00

    None of these solutions work for me. I have an HDMI cable connected to a Mini DisplayPort adapter. The HDMI cable is connected to my classroom's smart monitors. I can get sound out of the Surface, but only video is going out through the HDMI, no sound. Incredibly frustrated. What the heck do I do? The HDMI device connection appears nowhere in any of the sound or audio settings.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-09-27T22:00:14+00:00

    I just tried connecting to my TV to see how I could help. The cable to the TV wasn't connected to the SP4. After reconnecting the cable, the video came up on the TV and predictably, not audio. The TV as a device didn't show up in "Control Panel" -> "Sound" -> "Manage Audio Devices" -> "Playback" tab, which it should have. Connected the TV, SWITCHED IT ON with the correct HDMI input selection and restarted the SP4, however, did the trick. Did you try it?

    The TV shows up in the above menu.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-11-30T03:25:26+00:00

    I bit too late but I found that by restarting the computer/tablet/device while being connected to the monitor, it finally gives the option to change the sound to the display. This worked with my surface book... no need to install anything or change anything in settings.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments