Surface Pro has no sound when external display is connected

Anonymous
2013-02-20T08:38:59+00:00

When I have an external monitor connected via the mini displayport on the Surface Pro, there is no sound played through the Surface's speakers.  I have plug in speakers into the mini audio out.  Does the mini-dp on Surface support audio and is trying to output audio?  I'm currently using a mini-dp to displayport cable, and would prefer the option to choose whether the sound is being piped through the mini-dp or continue through the Surface's speakers.

Surface | Surface Pro | USB-C

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-02-20T09:09:09+00:00

If you open the playback devices in the sound icon on the taskbar, you should be able to select the desired output device. It is likely to switch to the digital out when connected with the digital video out.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-02-03T20:52:32+00:00

    This is what worked for me;

    1. Go to Control Panel
    2. Click the "Sound" icon to access sound settings
    3. Select your Surface Pro built in speakers, mine are (Realtek High Definition Audio, Default Device)
    4. In the options below select "Set Default"
    5. Click ok, or click Apply and then OK.

    This is how it should look, the S271HL is the driver sending audio to my HDMI monitor, which does not have speakers.

    The Realtek High Definition Audio is my surface built in speakers, I defaulted to that.

    Test to see if its already working, if not do the following

    Click the speaker icon in the bottom right and then click Mixer. There will be a column for Device with a drop down menu below it. Click that and choose the other sound ouput device.

    Test and see if it works.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-08-22T02:05:48+00:00

    Same problem here. No mixer appears. I have an INSIGNIA cable from the Apple store within Best Buy and everyone says that there shouldn't be a problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-10-27T13:50:19+00:00

    I also needed to set the default device to "Speakers" in "Speaker Icon" - "Playback devices" - "Playback" tab.

    Select "Speaker" and make it "Default".

    It works for me. Am I missing something?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-10-27T13:51:53+00:00

    I had to do exactly the same thing!!!

    I did it as follows (identical to above)

    I also needed to set the default device to "Speakers" in "Speaker Icon" - "Playback devices" - "Playback" tab.

    Select "Speaker" and make it "Default".

    It works for me. Am I missing something?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments