Surface Pro has no sound when external display is connected

Anonymous
2013-02-20T08:38:59+00:00

When I have an external monitor connected via the mini displayport on the Surface Pro, there is no sound played through the Surface's speakers.  I have plug in speakers into the mini audio out.  Does the mini-dp on Surface support audio and is trying to output audio?  I'm currently using a mini-dp to displayport cable, and would prefer the option to choose whether the sound is being piped through the mini-dp or continue through the Surface's speakers.

Surface | Surface Pro | USB-C

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-02-20T09:09:09+00:00

If you open the playback devices in the sound icon on the taskbar, you should be able to select the desired output device. It is likely to switch to the digital out when connected with the digital video out.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-04-26T20:18:01+00:00

    After all the problem was my hdmi cable. I tried different, shorter hdmi cable between the pny adapter and my tv and audio worked instantly. Cable that didn't work is 5m long and maybe it is of poor quality then. Well at least it was rather cheap.

    So I can confirm that the PNY mini displayport adapter which I mentioned in my last post works great with surface pro. Now I just have to find a new hdmi cable that is at least 2m-5m long and works with pro's audio. Any suggestions?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-04-26T20:32:47+00:00

    You probably just got a defective cable.  But you can try a cable designed to the latest specs like this one that supports up to 1440p:

    http://www.amazon.com/BlueRigger-Speed-Ethernet-Supports-Return/dp/B003XM9774/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367008149&sr=8-1&keywords=hdmi+cable+15+ft

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-07-25T00:43:56+00:00

    I am having the same problem.  Only speakers and headphones show as audio options.  I purchased a Monoprice 15ft mini displayport cable and I am connecting it to my TV through a home Theater receiver

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-07-25T01:10:38+00:00

    Update

    When I select mixer, I see Speakers as the active device with a pulldown arrow underneath.  When I pick on the arrow, my receiver shows as another device (TX-SR607).  If I select it to be the current device, I can pick in the volume slider and I hear the slider sounds thru the receiver, but all other audio from the Surface Pro continues to come out of the tablet Speakers.  When I close the window it keeps defaulting back to Speakers

    Help!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments