If you open the playback devices in the sound icon on the taskbar, you should be able to select the desired output device. It is likely to switch to the digital out when connected with the digital video out.
Surface Pro has no sound when external display is connected
When I have an external monitor connected via the mini displayport on the Surface Pro, there is no sound played through the Surface's speakers. I have plug in speakers into the mini audio out. Does the mini-dp on Surface support audio and is trying to output audio? I'm currently using a mini-dp to displayport cable, and would prefer the option to choose whether the sound is being piped through the mini-dp or continue through the Surface's speakers.
Surface | Surface Pro | USB-C
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
43 additional answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2017-01-02T23:26:05+00:00 Same problem here!
No sound from displayport to HDMI. I tried different cables and none worked for me. The Audio device does not appear, Video works well.
In device Manager there is no Intel Audio, only Realtek HD Audio device.
I resettet me SP3 with MS SP3 ISO. Didn't help. I'm very unhappy paying more than 1000€ and the device does not play audio via displayport!
Using the Surface dock, audio works well with the same cable!
Any solutions for me?
Thanks
-
Anonymous
2017-01-01T19:28:52+00:00 Yes, in re-reading your post, the mini-DisplayPort is capable of transporting audio using the Intel HD Audio device. So, in all likelihood, the Surface Pro is trying to send audio to the monitor. You will need to tell the Surface Pro to not do that.
When you are connected to the external display/speakers, click the speaker icon in the bottom right and then click Mixer. There will be a column for Device with a drop down menu below it. Click that and choose the other sound output device.
Please let us know if this corrects your issue.
I have the same problem, and this hasn't helped, it doesn't appear under the devices where you said or under playback devices... it works with other computers and ive tried other tv's and its the same problem. it is very aggravating, ive tried restarting the computer that doesn't work.
-
Anonymous
2016-12-28T03:09:40+00:00 Unfortunately for me, these steps didn't solve the problem. I have to restart the device with the display adaptor connected in order for sound to come from my TV. Luckily, this is the only major downside I've experienced with this device so far.
-
Anonymous
2016-12-23T22:32:19+00:00 Restart computer with cable plugged into both computer and external monitor. Easy Breezy.
But...are you...no...
While this certainly works, it is simply not an acceptable solution for a so-called "premium" device. Basic stuff like this Should. Just. Work. Every. Time. The Surface Pro 4 is simply one of the glitchiest "brand" PCs that you can buy, which is really sad for such a beautiful concept.