If you open the playback devices in the sound icon on the taskbar, you should be able to select the desired output device. It is likely to switch to the digital out when connected with the digital video out.
Surface Pro has no sound when external display is connected
When I have an external monitor connected via the mini displayport on the Surface Pro, there is no sound played through the Surface's speakers. I have plug in speakers into the mini audio out. Does the mini-dp on Surface support audio and is trying to output audio? I'm currently using a mini-dp to displayport cable, and would prefer the option to choose whether the sound is being piped through the mini-dp or continue through the Surface's speakers.
Surface | Surface Pro | USB-C
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
43 additional answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2014-08-05T12:43:32+00:00 this did not fix the problem - I switch the device to the surface speakers, but the sound is still cut off when I connect to the monitor.
-
Anonymous
2014-05-04T03:04:37+00:00 This will work on the Surface Pro 2. In the search bar, type audio. A "Sound" box will display and check your speakers as default. I found mine had the new Dell monitor I recently purchased and connected via the MDP as the default audio output. Obviously a monitor without speakers cannot play audio.
-
Anonymous
2014-02-07T22:25:01+00:00 you don't need to install or uninstall drivers... and also you don't need a special or branded cable to work with sound issues. mine came from monoprice.
i had this problem before and i solve it in 5mins.
go to desktop and click sound icon then click mixer. choose the monitor then on general tab you will see below device usage. drop down and choose (don't use this device - disable) then hit apply.
now you only have one sound preference which is realtek high definition audio - which is the onboard sound. you should be good and sound will be heard on you surface pro.
-
Anonymous
2013-09-01T17:28:29+00:00 I just got a new display and was having the same issue, all the audio was being transferred to the external display via the Mini-DP to HDMI adapter. If you right click on the audio icon in desktop mode, then click on playback devices, it will open a panel that shows you all the audio devices and you can change which one is the default. So for example when I clicked it, it had my external display has the default so I switched it to "Speakers", which is the surface speakers themselves, and now the audio is coming from the surface itself. No need to go downloading any drivers