Surface Dock not putting monitor to sleep

Anonymous
2016-05-11T01:50:28+00:00

Hi Everyone,

I have a new Surface Pro 4 with a Microsoft Dock and an Asus 28" Monitor for my GM. The problem I have is that when I shut down the Surface, the Dock seems to continue to provide power to the Monitor and the monitor doesn't go into standby mode. When I unplug the monitor cable from the dock it goes into standby but the moment I plug the cable (Display Port) back in the monitor powers up and says it can't detect the display port.

I have all current Microsoft updates so nothing recent has helped with this. Any thoughts?

Olin

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-04-03T14:35:48+00:00

Ok, I am replying to my post about this because I have fixed my issue.

The way I fixed it was buying an ACTIVE mDP to HDMI adapter (one that supports 4K @ 60Hz) and using that with my monitor.  I have had no luck using the direct mDP to full DP cable.

Thanks for sharing, this solved my issue as well.  Monitor sleeps like a baby now.

For reference here are the adapter and cable I'm using:

Adapter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PJ3LSIG/ref=oh\_aui\_detailpage\_o00\_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

HDMI Cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014I8SIJY/ref=oh\_aui\_detailpage\_o00\_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-03-16T05:24:05+00:00

    Hi Daniel,

    For the best experience with your Surface Dock, we suggest that you update your device by using Microsoft Surface Dock Updater. Please get back to us with the results.

    Regards.

    Emmylou, I'm having the same issue Daniel_sv and the other posters on this thread are reporting (I have the LG 27UD58).  My surface dock is also updated to the latest firmware.  How do we get this resolved??

    Hi Luke,

    An updated Microsoft Surface Dock may not only be the troubleshooting step that you need to perform to rectify the reported issue, have you tried the support article link given by Brian_D16 in this thread? If you haven't, we suggest that you perform the steps in the support article and let us know how it goes.

    Regards.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-03-16T10:29:40+00:00

    Hi Nikki - yes, I've tried the steps in the article, including running the surface dock registry file, to no avail.  The issue only occurs when the monitor is attached to the surface dock and the surface dock is attached to the surface book.  I've tested a few different scenarios:

    • Monitor attached to surface dock, dock connected to book: when book sleeps, the monitor attempts to sleep, turns itself back on, and then attempts to sleep again . This loop goes on forever.
    • Monitor attached to surface dock, dock disconnected from book: monitor sleeps fine
    • Monitor attached directly to surface book: monitor sleeps fine

    I have another post regarding this issue in this thread.

    My hope is this can be resolved with a firmware update to the dock.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-03-20T02:12:01+00:00

    Ok, I myself have the Samsung UE590 connected via minDP to Full DP cable connected to my surface dock.  I have the ability to switch my monitor's DP version from 1.2 to 1.1.

    When on version 1.2, I see exactly what you are describing where the monitor appears to turn off and then on over and over again.  When I wake my surface book from sleep the monitor doesn't recover.  The only way I have been able to get it to recover is by unplugging the power cable from the surface dock and plugging it back in.  That appears to be the only reliable way to get the display to appear.

    When I switched to version 1.1 and my surface book sleeps, the monitor appears to be completely disconnected since when I wake it from sleep all of my windows are now moved to the surface display.  However, it is able to recover without unplugging my surface dock.  Another downside to this is that my monitor now cannot run at 60Htz, but now only runs at 30Htz!

    I have also verified that I have the latest display driver from Samsung for this monitor, so there shouldn't be any issues there.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-03-24T10:17:10+00:00

    Hi,

    Have you tied using a different Surface Dock? If not we suggest that you do so. Also, if you are situated in the USA, we suggest that you bring your Surface Book and the Surface Dock to the nearest Microsoft Store to have it checked by one of our technicians.

    Feel free to post if you have other concerns.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments