Surface Dock not putting monitor to sleep

Anonymous
2016-05-11T01:50:28+00:00

Hi Everyone,

I have a new Surface Pro 4 with a Microsoft Dock and an Asus 28" Monitor for my GM. The problem I have is that when I shut down the Surface, the Dock seems to continue to provide power to the Monitor and the monitor doesn't go into standby mode. When I unplug the monitor cable from the dock it goes into standby but the moment I plug the cable (Display Port) back in the monitor powers up and says it can't detect the display port.

I have all current Microsoft updates so nothing recent has helped with this. Any thoughts?

Olin

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-04-03T14:35:48+00:00

Ok, I am replying to my post about this because I have fixed my issue.

The way I fixed it was buying an ACTIVE mDP to HDMI adapter (one that supports 4K @ 60Hz) and using that with my monitor.  I have had no luck using the direct mDP to full DP cable.

Thanks for sharing, this solved my issue as well.  Monitor sleeps like a baby now.

For reference here are the adapter and cable I'm using:

Adapter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PJ3LSIG/ref=oh\_aui\_detailpage\_o00\_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

HDMI Cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014I8SIJY/ref=oh\_aui\_detailpage\_o00\_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2018-04-08T20:28:55+00:00

    RESOLVED with WORK-AROUND!  

    Even though this is an issue with the Microsoft Surface docking block, I followed Luke0330's post and orderd an *ACTIVE* m-ini DIsplayPort to HDMI adapter cable (Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01FM50QJC/) which resolved the problem nicely.  My monitor now sleeps nicely and none of my open windows move after returning from sleep. 

    Note that it MUST be an "Active" adapter as a generic mini DisplayPort to HDMI does not solve the issue.

    If you are having this issue, try ordering an Active adapter.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-05-30T15:35:30+00:00

    And here another one with the same problem. Surface Pro 2017 plugged in into a Surface Dock that is connected to a Eizo 2750 by using a Mini DP to DP cable. Everything with up to date software and firmware. The display does never go into standby when all devices are connected together. Come on Microsoft ... this is a 2-year-old bug?!?! And I can't believe that you expect users to buy some cumbersome adapter. The Surface line is expensive enough already!!! So give it a premium support when you sell it like a premium product.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments