Surface Dock not putting monitor to sleep

Anonymous
2016-05-11T01:50:28+00:00

Hi Everyone,

I have a new Surface Pro 4 with a Microsoft Dock and an Asus 28" Monitor for my GM. The problem I have is that when I shut down the Surface, the Dock seems to continue to provide power to the Monitor and the monitor doesn't go into standby mode. When I unplug the monitor cable from the dock it goes into standby but the moment I plug the cable (Display Port) back in the monitor powers up and says it can't detect the display port.

I have all current Microsoft updates so nothing recent has helped with this. Any thoughts?

Olin

Surface | Surface Pro | Display and screen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2017-04-03T14:35:48+00:00

Ok, I am replying to my post about this because I have fixed my issue.

The way I fixed it was buying an ACTIVE mDP to HDMI adapter (one that supports 4K @ 60Hz) and using that with my monitor.  I have had no luck using the direct mDP to full DP cable.

Thanks for sharing, this solved my issue as well.  Monitor sleeps like a baby now.

For reference here are the adapter and cable I'm using:

Adapter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PJ3LSIG/ref=oh\_aui\_detailpage\_o00\_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

HDMI Cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014I8SIJY/ref=oh\_aui\_detailpage\_o00\_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2017-03-24T12:32:27+00:00

    I totally agree.  I ended up going the active HDMI to mini display port route on to get my Samsung monitor to sleep properly, but I should not have to find a workaround since this monitor is officially supported.

    Microsoft,  pls really give us answers and not insult us with try this try that replies.  At least read the thread history first.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-03-24T12:15:12+00:00

    Can't speak for @mdkitzman, but I (and seems a few others as well) did try using a different Surface Dock, and the problem remains. (hey, just read the posts above)

    It's kind of frustrating that even when I offered to troubleshoot at a deeper level (just give me the tools and tell me what to do), all I got were tone-deaf answers.

    And when we've exhausted their well-intentioned "suggestions", they just become silent, and then, when someone else comes reporting the same problem, the whole process repeats again.

    Baffling.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-03-24T10:17:10+00:00

    Hi,

    Have you tied using a different Surface Dock? If not we suggest that you do so. Also, if you are situated in the USA, we suggest that you bring your Surface Book and the Surface Dock to the nearest Microsoft Store to have it checked by one of our technicians.

    Feel free to post if you have other concerns.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-03-20T02:12:01+00:00

    Ok, I myself have the Samsung UE590 connected via minDP to Full DP cable connected to my surface dock.  I have the ability to switch my monitor's DP version from 1.2 to 1.1.

    When on version 1.2, I see exactly what you are describing where the monitor appears to turn off and then on over and over again.  When I wake my surface book from sleep the monitor doesn't recover.  The only way I have been able to get it to recover is by unplugging the power cable from the surface dock and plugging it back in.  That appears to be the only reliable way to get the display to appear.

    When I switched to version 1.1 and my surface book sleeps, the monitor appears to be completely disconnected since when I wake it from sleep all of my windows are now moved to the surface display.  However, it is able to recover without unplugging my surface dock.  Another downside to this is that my monitor now cannot run at 60Htz, but now only runs at 30Htz!

    I have also verified that I have the latest display driver from Samsung for this monitor, so there shouldn't be any issues there.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments