Surface Pro 8 crashed during MS Teams and Zoom meetings

Anonymous
2022-06-29T19:33:07+00:00

Purchased new Surface Pro 8 from MS Store this April, exactly two months ago. Very frustrating as virtual meetings were the primary task that I bought this device in the first place. Have updated all drivers, searched online for fixes, and have a support ticket registered this AM. So far, no answers. Am back to using an old Mac Air for the meetings.

Surface | Surface Pro | Performance and maintenance

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-05-17T20:17:54+00:00

    I can confirm that the rollback to Windows 10 worked for me. I am now running video applications and conferencing without any issues whatsoever. Too bad Microsoft couldn't figure out a more elegant solution to allow folks to continue to run Windows 11. Guess it's good that I'm ok with Windows 10.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-04-13T11:37:29+00:00

    OK,

    Good news there have been no more crashes since the windows 10 rollback (and by I mean rollback, it didnt have win 10 on before it came out the box with win11)

    I went ahead and created the installer media for windows 10 and reformatted and installed.

    I do recommend getting your IT person/department involved if you have one, if you dont here are the steps below that I followed.

    If you are going to do this you will need a few things:

    • USB C to USB hub
    • USB keyboard and Mouse (you may get away without a usb one, but at the setup stage the keyboard cover and touch screen did not work) You need this in order to put information in the prompts
    • At least an 8gb USB mem stick (cheap on amazon)

    With the memstick you will need to crate the windows 10 media install tool

    Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

    all info on above website on how to do this

    Then download these and copy to the same memstick after the media creation is compeleted

    Download Surface Pro 8 Drivers and Firmware from Official Microsoft Download Center

    (we use surface pro 8, so im sure there are different versions)

    Once you have done that, You will need to backup all your files to the cloud or another harddrive etc (as we will be completely wiping the device of ALL data.

    So this can include things like desktop docs, downloads, bookmarks and favs, pics etc.

    Once you back ups are done and the media tool is created, you will need to boot the surface off the USB stick via the usb adapter

    1. Shut down your Surface.
    2. Insert the bootable USB drive into the USB port on your Surface. ...
    3. Press and hold the volume-down button on the Surface. While you're doing this, press and release the power button.
    4. The Microsoft or Surface logo appears on your screen. Continue to hold the volume-down button. Release the button once spinning dots appear beneath the logo.
    5. Follow the on-screen instructions to boot from your USB drive.

    From there is will allow you to install windows 10, this part may be a little tech heavy as you will need to delete and create partitions on the surface drive.

    this is where the USB keyboard and mouse is needed.

    Follow the prompts to install windows 10 (whole process takes about 45 mins)

    Once installed go back to the memstick and copy the surfaec pro 8 drivers you downloaded earlier and run that. After that the touch screen and pad will work normally.

    Restore all your apps and software updates and Data etc and off you go no more bluescreen crashing hopefully.

    Just a little note I did in fact get a a blue screen once during the setup of windows 10 right towards the end and before i ran the drivers, but it only happened once and never again and the user has not had one either.

    Good luck

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-04-06T12:10:32+00:00

    Hi all,

    So far my user has had 3 zoom calls and none of them have had a Blue screen, he did say this

    "About to start my zoom call shortly...I did have one last night and it dropped the call towards the end but didn't blue screen just crashed Zoom app...Let me see how today goes."

    However the next call it was stable and the calls since have been, he has his next set of calls scheduled for Wednesday, so it will give me a better indication of the stability after that.

    His zoom calls would crash with a bluescreen in every call with windows 11

    I am going to start applying the roll back to my other users a few at time so I have a greater pool to feedback on, Currently I have about 8 people affected by these crashes and we use about 40 surfaces, so it doesn't seem to affect all devices which is odd, but it could also be the case that not all users are zoom and webex users (we haven't had the crashing with teams)

    I will update next week, hopefully some light at the end of the tunnel

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-04-04T14:02:53+00:00

    The issue is that they can send you another device and the issue remains, so unless there is a call back and by some miracle they decided to patch the issue we will still experience this, as per my other post, I am waiting further testing on the windows 10 work around, should have an answer tomorrow.

    To roll back is not too complicated but you will need some time about a 8gb usb stick and an adapter to plug in a keyboard and mouse.

    If the fix works ill post all the references here.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2023-04-03T21:13:21+00:00

    yes, it seems to be related to any camera activities e.g. on Windows 11 sign-in, the facial recognition does not always work and the camera light then stays ON (which is troubling in its own right). Only consistent way to get rid of it is to reboot. Sometimes go to Device Manager - Camera and disabling the device, then reenabling it work. But not all the time.

    Anyway this is a Win11 camera issue, it would seem

    I am not an IT professional. I do not roll back computers and have no idea how, not time nor interest. I can just return the computer and let Microsoft fix it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments