I would like to use a Surface Pro 3 pen with another tablet.

Anonymous
2014-06-26T02:23:55+00:00

Hi everyone!

I'm going to try out the Surface Pro 3 soon, but I think that N-trig pen is cool, especially the click the top to open One Note feature I saw when it was introduced.

I've done a bit of research and found out the reason the Surface Pro 3 switched from Wacom to N-trig technology was to make the device thinner as the Bluetooth technology used by the pen eliminated the need for a special digitizing layer on the screen. This led me to believe that the pen would be compatible with any Bluetooth supported Windows tablet. Can anyone confirm this is true and whether purchasing the new Surface Pen is worth my money?

I'm asking this because I'm a little annoyed with the performance of the Wacom digitizer on my own tablet (which is not a Surface) and was thinking that a Bluetooth operated pen, which does not require this special internal hardware to be fitted into the device, would make an appropriate replacement and/or backup in case the Wacom fails to work at all. Better still, I'd love to see the click to open One Note feature functional on my unit as well. What do you say?

Appreciate your advice, as always!

CSD Surface Tester.

Surface | Accessories | Surface Pen

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-06-26T05:38:09+00:00

That is the reason why to check the specs on the pen.  The particular pen for the Surface Pro 3 only.  The pen itself functions in a dual mode capability but still needs power to do it.  It is classed as a "mechanical" pen because it has electronic components.

The two button batteries pre-installed in the top of the pen functions the Bluetooth connection.  The main battery actually communicates with the pen's driver installed in the tablet to work with the touchscreen.  No digitizer is needed.

If it was a generic pen, you would have an installation disk to install a driver for the pen and that drivers mates with the touchscreen along with adding it as a Bluetooth 4.0 device.

Now, if the Bluetooth connection fails, the pen will still function similar to a stylus where the driver will use the touchscreen like a digitizer surface.  The Bluetooth connection is for software control mainly.

It is a little complex but is a great concept in my thought.  You eliminate hardware (digitizer) and emulate that hardware with software (driver).  Believe it or not, a network adapter and a dial-up modem have been working in that fashion for years; where the driver was actually the modem (simulated hardware) and the hardware (interface card) was just a circuit and connection point.

Right now, you can get Bluetooth and WiFi adapters just slightly bigger than a USB plug.  There is only a very small chip in those and rely on the driver to do the rest.

This pen operates in the same fashion.  Since the driver for it is built in, it cannot be used with any other tablet and this particular model was designed solely for the Surface Pro 3.

Now, like I said, you can get a generic pen (probably from N-Trig) from their web site.  That one will include an installation disk and will work with any tablet that has a touchscreen and Bluetooth 4.0 adapter.  You can't with this particular model.

Was this answer helpful?

70+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-06-28T04:38:37+00:00

    Did you show them the price of the i3?  They might throw you out the window (pardon the pun).

    I have to agree! Surface Pro 3 should not be priced like an Ultra book, but more like a cross between an iPad and a Mac Book.

    anyways, I'm gonna have to try out the pen to believe it...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-06-28T03:39:56+00:00

    Did you show them the price of the i3?  They might throw you out the window (pardon the pun).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-06-28T03:02:33+00:00

    I was impressed with the best buy reps. Every student who walked in they first pointed to the surface pro 3 while I was sitting there drawing in one note.

    Unfortunately the mothers veto'd a lot b/c of price. Getting the i3 might help some.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-06-28T00:04:31+00:00

    No, that is just a theory and if you can find a touchscreen monitor with the N-Trig controller.  I probably shouldn't have brought it up and forgot to add that particular about it.

    Don't spend any money on stupid stuff like that anyhow, if you do need something like that, wait a few years for this particular technology to take hold mainstream and they would probably be available easily.

    Anyhow, go find a Best Buy and they will have a Pro 3 on display as a demo and you can try out then pen there before buying.  If there is a Microsoft Store local, that would be better.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments