Surface Pro Miracast Connection Problem

Anonymous
2018-02-09T02:30:39+00:00

I am essentially re-asking the same question, but in a different manner as it has been two weeks and the problem of the Surface Pro 2 not connecting to our new LG OLED, Miracast-compatible TV remains unresolved.  They do attempt to negotiate a connection, but they fail to connect.

I ran dxdiag on the Surface Pro 2 running Windows 10 with all the latest updates, and the results show the computer is Miracast compatible.  I have also separately checked for updated drivers and the result was that the drivers are up-to-date.


System Information


      Time of this report: 1/25/2018, 09:54:36

      ...

                 Miracast: Available, with HDCP

     ...


Display Devices


           Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family

     ...

            Miracast: Supported

Initial attempts failed every time, even when the Surface is just a few feet from the TV.  Conversely, our HP laptop connects flawlessly every time.  This tends to suggest that the problem is within the Surface computer - not the TV.

I read Barb Bowman's informative article describing how Miracast negotiates a connection and, as a result, I checked the visible 2.4GHz networks around here.  There are four weak ones (~20% strength) on CH1, our own 'main' network on CH6 all by itself, and our own secondary network and two other weak ones on CH11 (78% and ~20% strength, respectively).  I presume the Surface and the TV being just a few feet apart, the related signal strengths would be adequate to override the weaker network signals on CH1 and, therefore, Miracast should be able to negotiate a connection.  The HP computer is 6x further away from the TV and, as mentioned, it connects flawlessly every time.

However, I did spot a difference between our two computers when connecting - namely the IPv4 address indicated for the direct-connection 'adapter'.  The IPv4 Address was 192.168.137.1 for the HP computer (and it was the same for my various acquaintances' computers as well), whereas on the Surface it was indicated as Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address 169.254.56.231.  The IPv4 Subnet Masks were 255.255.255.0 and 255.255.0.0, respectively.

As Miracast is essentially a peer-to-peer connection without a DHCP server to provide an IP address, on the virtual wireless adapter that is active during Miracast connections, I configured the IPv4 'Alternate configuration' to an address of 192.168.137.1, the same IP address that works every time when the HP laptop connects.

I thought I had found the answer as it worked briefly (during a 20-minute test period), and the results were very good .

However, the next day when there was something my wife actually wanted to see on the big-screen TV, she tried again and it failed to connect.  Several attempts were made - all unsuccessful.

A few days later a friend suggested that I try adding the same IP address for the Default gateway and DNS server.  I wasn't sure what good this would do, but I tried and it worked again during an hour of testing (to see if it would drop out - it remained solid).

However, once again, while it worked for the hour or so of testing, later it again failed to connect.  We tried several times throughout the day and again over the next couple of days, but no luck.

I have tried shutting off Bluetooth, and even shutting off the HP computer to eliminate any impact they may have, but the Surface and TV will NOT connect.

The issue is almost certainly within the Surface computer, and I have no idea where else to look.  Can someone from Microsoft please shine some light on this?  There are so many discussions on the web about this problem with Surface computers; so, it must be very widespread and there must be a lot of frustrated Surface owners out there!

Any expert assistance would be appreciated.  Thank you.

Surface | Surface Pro | USB-C

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Barb Bowman 80,815 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2018-02-14T10:54:02+00:00

    I'm still waiting for a reply. It struck me that it would be good to see if Best

    Buy or a friend with a different TV that supports Miracast will let you try to

    connect. Looking to see if you can connect to other Miracast hosts.. I think

    this is an important data point.

    > I'll await your further feedback following your internal discussion(s).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2018-02-14T05:20:29+00:00

    Miracast: Available, with HDCP

    Your TV's spec's mention HDCP in relation to your HDMI ports.  Do you have an HDMI cable (and adapter) to see if the Surface can connect that way?  I (vaguely) remember seeing someone else having a problem possibly because of HDCP when trying to use HDMI.  I think the problem symptom may have been more informative with that scenario.

    I found what I was trying to recollect.  Results inconclusive

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/surfpronew-surfdrivers/surface-pro-wont-connect-to-external-monitor/604d6c7c-d259-49a7-91c3-5024aaf3d504

    (Google search for

        HDMI  Surface  site:answers.microsoft.com HDCP

    • past month

    )

    FYI

    Robert


    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2018-02-14T04:48:02+00:00

    Okay Barb, I'll await your further feedback following your internal discussion(s).

    Of the three Surface Pro computers owned by me and a couple of friends that live about 400km from here, for sure one is an SP, ours is an SP2, but I believe the other is a newer model (SP3, SP4???).  Unfortunately he was away today and I wasn't able to confirm his specific model - but I will.

    Of note is that all three have acted exactly the same - that is, none would connect in spite of numerous attempts made, and all three did connect once immediately following the aforementioned Alternative Configuration of IPv4 for the Local Area Connection* virtual adapter but none were able to repeat the singular success(es).

    I can confirm that our TV's firmware is up-to-date.  It has the 2017-12-12 release 4.70.36.  I have not yet received feedback from friends to determine if theirs have the latest release, however. 

    Thanks again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Barb Bowman 80,815 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2018-02-13T12:27:35+00:00

    don't disable the firewall. I'm going to ask an internal contact about the

    issue. The original Surface Pro and the SP2 have not had a wireless driver

    update since 2014 I believe. And there isn't a newer one available.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Barb Bowman 80,815 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2018-02-13T11:21:12+00:00

    My bad, I didn't see the Wi-Fi direct cert (which replaced the Miracast line

    item) in the certs.

    >I cannot say for sure that our model of TV is Miracast 'certified',

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments