Trackpad responsiveness issues

Anonymous
2015-10-28T05:03:03+00:00

I'll start off by stating I'm used to a Macbook Pro when it comes to the trackpad, do I may be a little biased. However, when using the trackpad, I'm specifically having a problem when using two finger scrolling. It seems to have about a one second (maybe half second) delay when I start to try and scroll a web-page. Basically, if I start with two fingers at the top of the trackpad and swipe down to scroll, the screen doesn't start scrolling until my fingers are halfway down the trackpad. Sometimes it struggles to recognize that I'm trying to scroll at all, and I have to swipe several times on the screen.

This issue doesn't happen in the settings screen, or when scrolling through the start menu. However, it does happen when in both Edge and Chrome, and also even happens in Windows Explorer, scrolling through a big directory.

I've turned off the pointer delay (and I keep accidentally tapping it), so I know it's not that. Just using it as a pointer doesn't seem to have any delay, and using touch to scroll has no delay at all. I've tried other settings like increasing the lines scrolled to 15, and that doesn't make it smoother or more response, just makes it scroll further and it seems even more jerky.

Anyone else see this? More importantly, any one have ideas on how to fix this? Yes, I've installed all available updates.

Surface | Surface Laptop | Install and update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-11-30T21:40:19+00:00

    Yes detach and reattach often bring the trackpad back. But is there a more elegant solution?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-12-15T22:45:34+00:00

    I was Mac user and have the exact same issues as you do with Surface Book.

    Another issue is: in PowerPoint 2016, in the text box, when I double tap the word, it will highlight the whole word, and when triple tap it , it's supposed to highlight the whole paragraph , but it only highlight the paragraph for a quick 1/10 second then release the highlighting.  It's quite frustrating when I'm editing.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-12-18T18:39:03+00:00

    Hello all

    We are looking to get your experiences after installing the 12/17 updates.

    Best regards

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-12-18T19:01:04+00:00

    Hello all

    We are looking to get your experiences after installing the 12/17 updates.

    I have my pad set to "Short Delay".

    Overall responsiveness is improved.

    Two-finger scrolling appears to be responding very well.

    The most noticeable improvement for me is the response to lightly tapping for left-clicks.

    Previously response on the right side of the pad was not as reliable and I found myself having to consciously try to tap toward the center.

    The pad is now responsive across the entire pad and I can tap anywhere to get a left click.  Huge improvement!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-12-19T16:00:43+00:00

    Hey everyone,

    More often than not, when I restart my Surface Book or when I start it up after it has been shut down for awhile, the mouse does not work on start up. I use the touch screen to enter my PIN and log in and my mouse icon is still nowhere to be seen. I have to detach and then reattach the tablet screen in order for the mouse to appear and become usable via the touchpad.

    I've only used my touchpad. I've never used peripheral accessories or mice. I have no idea why this is happening but it's very frustrating to have to go through a whole process just to make my computer usable after start up.

    Hoping for an answer.

    Tyler

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments