Trackpad responsiveness issues

Anonymous
2015-10-28T05:03:03+00:00

I'll start off by stating I'm used to a Macbook Pro when it comes to the trackpad, do I may be a little biased. However, when using the trackpad, I'm specifically having a problem when using two finger scrolling. It seems to have about a one second (maybe half second) delay when I start to try and scroll a web-page. Basically, if I start with two fingers at the top of the trackpad and swipe down to scroll, the screen doesn't start scrolling until my fingers are halfway down the trackpad. Sometimes it struggles to recognize that I'm trying to scroll at all, and I have to swipe several times on the screen.

This issue doesn't happen in the settings screen, or when scrolling through the start menu. However, it does happen when in both Edge and Chrome, and also even happens in Windows Explorer, scrolling through a big directory.

I've turned off the pointer delay (and I keep accidentally tapping it), so I know it's not that. Just using it as a pointer doesn't seem to have any delay, and using touch to scroll has no delay at all. I've tried other settings like increasing the lines scrolled to 15, and that doesn't make it smoother or more response, just makes it scroll further and it seems even more jerky.

Anyone else see this? More importantly, any one have ideas on how to fix this? Yes, I've installed all available updates.

Surface | Surface Laptop | Install and update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-11-22T19:07:51+00:00

    I haven't even been able to use it long enough to set up my Bluetooth mouse. It's extremely annoying on so many fronts. But to be honest, I don't think I should have to turn the trackpad on and off -- I guess I want that part to be less hassle. 

    I I might just have to return this stupid thing. Thus far, it's been nothing but a horrible time sucking piece of **** that cost far more than its been worth.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-11-22T19:27:58+00:00

    I love my Surface Book.  It's the best computer I've ever owned.  Yours is certainly not working right and you are correct about spending $2,600 and expecting it to just work.  I spent that much on my i7, 16GB, 512GB, and if I had your problem I'd be venting the same frustration.

    It's unfortunate that you can't get to a Microsoft store.  I've now bought several computers from my Atlanta Microsoft store and their tech people have always been there for me with any problem I've ever had.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-11-22T20:39:45+00:00

    I'm at the Microsoft store right now...  It will pretty much take my entire Sunday to do this 15 minute appointment. They said all they can do is a re-set. I'm not sure that makes sense -- there is nothing on this machine. I've used it extremely little since purchasing it.  No other options, I guess. They have no real fixes for either of these issues.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-11-22T20:47:13+00:00

    If that doesn't fix the problem, insist on swapping for a new machine. See if they have any other Surface Books on the floor and check them out for the problem. I have the same machine that you have and I do NOT have that problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-11-22T22:04:47+00:00

    I too have come over from a MacBook Pro and have to say I am loving both Windows 10 and the new Surface Book, albeit being a gen 1 product, there are some issues with it.  The issue on delay you are seeing with the Trackpad I honestly am not seeing but I do find what bugs me the most about the trackpad is the true left and right side of that Windows uses verse what us Mac guys don't have to deal with.  Wondering if you have other drivers installed that are conflicting with the trackpad?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments