It's definitely buggy, and I've observed the behavior in numerous apps (after initially suspecting Chrome).
Oddly, other gestures largely work well, which strikes me as ironic given the ubiquity of two finger scroll.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I'll start off by stating I'm used to a Macbook Pro when it comes to the trackpad, do I may be a little biased. However, when using the trackpad, I'm specifically having a problem when using two finger scrolling. It seems to have about a one second (maybe half second) delay when I start to try and scroll a web-page. Basically, if I start with two fingers at the top of the trackpad and swipe down to scroll, the screen doesn't start scrolling until my fingers are halfway down the trackpad. Sometimes it struggles to recognize that I'm trying to scroll at all, and I have to swipe several times on the screen.
This issue doesn't happen in the settings screen, or when scrolling through the start menu. However, it does happen when in both Edge and Chrome, and also even happens in Windows Explorer, scrolling through a big directory.
I've turned off the pointer delay (and I keep accidentally tapping it), so I know it's not that. Just using it as a pointer doesn't seem to have any delay, and using touch to scroll has no delay at all. I've tried other settings like increasing the lines scrolled to 15, and that doesn't make it smoother or more response, just makes it scroll further and it seems even more jerky.
Anyone else see this? More importantly, any one have ideas on how to fix this? Yes, I've installed all available updates.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
It's definitely buggy, and I've observed the behavior in numerous apps (after initially suspecting Chrome).
Oddly, other gestures largely work well, which strikes me as ironic given the ubiquity of two finger scroll.
I'm having this same issue. It makes it very frustrating to scroll webpages. I hope this is just a software bug that will be fixed soon.
I concur with OP regarding "touchpad" aka trackpad lack of accuracy/responsiveness. This is basic functionality that affects every piece of the user experience and should be, above all else, the priority for Microsoft. I'm also disappointed (as a former MacBook Pro user) at the lack of support for additional custom gestures such as 2 finger swiping to go back or forward while using file/web browsers. I can live with the touchpad physically not being as smooth or silky. But the aforementioned issues, in combination, make using the surface book a truly cumbersome and frustrating experience since the vast majority of my time is spent in file/web browsers.
Surface Book i7 256GB dGPU
I have this problem also. It also happens with one finger cursor movement. I've tried all the suggested work-a-rounds to no avail. The 10576 insider update was no help. My Chromebook trackpad works better.
This isn't a problem on an HP laptop I have at work, or my Surface Pro 3 trackpad. Both support two finger scrolling fine.
Unfortunately, this, on top of the bluescreens, freezes, crackling speaker, and everything else, makes it basically unusable. When I'm not getting frustrated with the trackpad, it's locking up on me or something else is going wrong. The hardware is great, but the software is just not ready. I'm planning on taking mine back.
Sigh. I had such high hopes. And so much to like about it. But it's just more frustration than it's worth.