Trackpad responsiveness issues

Anonymous
2015-10-28T05:03:03+00:00

I'll start off by stating I'm used to a Macbook Pro when it comes to the trackpad, do I may be a little biased. However, when using the trackpad, I'm specifically having a problem when using two finger scrolling. It seems to have about a one second (maybe half second) delay when I start to try and scroll a web-page. Basically, if I start with two fingers at the top of the trackpad and swipe down to scroll, the screen doesn't start scrolling until my fingers are halfway down the trackpad. Sometimes it struggles to recognize that I'm trying to scroll at all, and I have to swipe several times on the screen.

This issue doesn't happen in the settings screen, or when scrolling through the start menu. However, it does happen when in both Edge and Chrome, and also even happens in Windows Explorer, scrolling through a big directory.

I've turned off the pointer delay (and I keep accidentally tapping it), so I know it's not that. Just using it as a pointer doesn't seem to have any delay, and using touch to scroll has no delay at all. I've tried other settings like increasing the lines scrolled to 15, and that doesn't make it smoother or more response, just makes it scroll further and it seems even more jerky.

Anyone else see this? More importantly, any one have ideas on how to fix this? Yes, I've installed all available updates.

Surface | Surface Laptop | Install and update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-11-22T09:32:03+00:00

    If I were having these kinds of trackpad problems I would be at a Microsoft Store showing the problems to a Microsoft tech.

    Wow. Genius answer. But there is only one store that has one of those in this whole state...  And it's not convenient. 

    Secondly, the appointment option online has been down for several days.  I can't take the whole day to drive there and then wait for them to have a free minute.  I called tech support and tried to do it over the phone....  Disaster. Very difficult to understand the tech, took forever, and solved nothing.

    I actually had some bare minimum expectations when I bought this stupid thing. A computer that costs $2600 or whatever shouldn't have such major issues right out of the box.  This rollout has been a disaster. 

    I'm sorry you are having such problems, Erin.  I was only trying to be helpful. I didn't intend to come across as rude.  I live in Atlanta and have the luxury of having three Microsoft stores within a short driving distance.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-11-22T08:31:53+00:00

    If I were having these kinds of trackpad problems I would be at a Microsoft Store showing the problems to a Microsoft tech.

    Wow. Genius answer. But there is only one store that has one of those in this whole state...  And it's not convenient. 

    Secondly, the appointment option online has been down for several days.  I can't take the whole day to drive there and then wait for them to have a free minute.  I called tech support and tried to do it over the phone....  Disaster. Very difficult to understand the tech, took forever, and solved nothing.

    I actually had some bare minimum expectations when I bought this stupid thing. A computer that costs $2600 or whatever shouldn't have such major issues right out of the box.  This rollout has been a disaster.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-11-22T03:24:28+00:00

    If I were having these kinds of trackpad problems I would be at a Microsoft Store showing the problems to a Microsoft tech.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-11-22T00:07:10+00:00

    Got a new Surface book, encountering several problems...

    One of which is that when waking from sleep, my trackpad will not respond.  Keyboard will continue to work, but no trackpad.  Looked in device manager, and it was nowhere to be found.

    Able to fix it by detaching screen and reattaching or by rebooting (sometimes doesn't work).

    ME TOO.  Very frustrating.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-11-20T17:05:23+00:00

    So, yesterday everything worked fine.  I updated last night and started working this morning and found that 2 finger scroll and 2 finger tap for right click were not working.  I checked the touchpad settings and they were very, how i say sparse.  I tried reinstalling the touchpad but no luck.  I rebooted a few times, nothing.  Anyone else having this issue?  How can I get this back?

    Update: 

    I redocked and all is good.  Seems they have some hardware issues to work on with the dock interface.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments