Trackpad responsiveness issues

Anonymous
2015-10-28T05:03:03+00:00

I'll start off by stating I'm used to a Macbook Pro when it comes to the trackpad, do I may be a little biased. However, when using the trackpad, I'm specifically having a problem when using two finger scrolling. It seems to have about a one second (maybe half second) delay when I start to try and scroll a web-page. Basically, if I start with two fingers at the top of the trackpad and swipe down to scroll, the screen doesn't start scrolling until my fingers are halfway down the trackpad. Sometimes it struggles to recognize that I'm trying to scroll at all, and I have to swipe several times on the screen.

This issue doesn't happen in the settings screen, or when scrolling through the start menu. However, it does happen when in both Edge and Chrome, and also even happens in Windows Explorer, scrolling through a big directory.

I've turned off the pointer delay (and I keep accidentally tapping it), so I know it's not that. Just using it as a pointer doesn't seem to have any delay, and using touch to scroll has no delay at all. I've tried other settings like increasing the lines scrolled to 15, and that doesn't make it smoother or more response, just makes it scroll further and it seems even more jerky.

Anyone else see this? More importantly, any one have ideas on how to fix this? Yes, I've installed all available updates.

Surface | Surface Laptop | Install and update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-01-13T20:04:53+00:00

    Hello all

    Looking for follow up.  Let me know of your experiences after installing the latest Windows and Surface updates.

    Best regards

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-01-10T02:27:22+00:00

    I have a Surface Book 256GB/i7 - 8GB/dGPU, about three weeks old.  The latest updates are installed (firmware update 12/17/15, and a couple win 10 updates after that).  Many times right after boot-up the trackpad and touchscreen do nothing.  I am able to navigate around with the tab key and use alt-F4 to reboot.  On some occasions after several minutes the screen will suddenly brighten and everything will work fine. Other occasions the problem persists for several minutes until I finally give up and reboot.  I recently discovered that while in this odd no-cursor mode I can use the arc mouse to get a cursor and navigate, but the behavior is very erratic.   Control will disappear until I use the keyboard to go to the desktop, then alt-tab to restore the program.  Then I can at least use the mouse, although erratically. On some occasions while using an additional monitor the cursor will begin flickering on the second monitor and acting erratically after long periods of normal operation.  This will last a minute or two, then everything is fine again.

    I have also had erratic behavior with screen brightness, volume control, and a few other things but it's not consistent and less of a problem.  I have seen those issues reported on other posts, but I have not yet seen a solution.  

    Sorry if this is posted elsewhere.  I searched but didn't see this problem reported.  Any help is appreciated.

    TS

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-12-30T10:14:35+00:00

    The touch pad is not responding efficiently sometimes it does not respond other time you have to try and do it once or twice or more then it works. Any idea why?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-12-19T16:00:43+00:00

    Hey everyone,

    More often than not, when I restart my Surface Book or when I start it up after it has been shut down for awhile, the mouse does not work on start up. I use the touch screen to enter my PIN and log in and my mouse icon is still nowhere to be seen. I have to detach and then reattach the tablet screen in order for the mouse to appear and become usable via the touchpad.

    I've only used my touchpad. I've never used peripheral accessories or mice. I have no idea why this is happening but it's very frustrating to have to go through a whole process just to make my computer usable after start up.

    Hoping for an answer.

    Tyler

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2015-12-18T19:01:04+00:00

    Hello all

    We are looking to get your experiences after installing the 12/17 updates.

    I have my pad set to "Short Delay".

    Overall responsiveness is improved.

    Two-finger scrolling appears to be responding very well.

    The most noticeable improvement for me is the response to lightly tapping for left-clicks.

    Previously response on the right side of the pad was not as reliable and I found myself having to consciously try to tap toward the center.

    The pad is now responsive across the entire pad and I can tap anywhere to get a left click.  Huge improvement!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments