A Microsoft file hosting and synchronization service.
I need help offboarding Office 365 backup for Exchange and OneDrive but keep SharePoint, and can't find a way to do it. can you help?
Started using Office 365 Backup a couple of month ago. I included SharePoint, Exchange & OneDrives for all users in the backup. Due to the cost, I would like to keep the SharePoint backup only and cancel the Exchange and OneDrive for all users. I've removed the exchange mailboxes and OneDrive for all users, but still being charged as the Office 365 keeps the removed users data. I've tried researching on this but can;t find a solution. can anyone help?
I've also logged a call with Microsoft 365 support, and I was told that even though the backup is organised via Office 365 portal, I would require to get in touch with Azure support, they forwarded my request to Azure support but never hear back.
Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For business | Windows
-
Srinivasa Reddy Jaggavarapu • 1,580 Reputation points • Moderator
2025-05-07T21:08:49.5633333+00:00 Hi WMPlumbing,
Microsoft 365 Backup charges are based on the size of protected content at the time it is removed from backup protection, plus any retained deleted/versioned data and simply removing Exchange mailboxes and OneDrive accounts from the backup policy doesn’t immediately stop all charges. The backup system retains data for a grace period (to allow for recovery), and charges continue until all restore points expire. Reference link: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/backup/backup-pricing?view=o365-worldwide
Offboarding (fully removing) backup for Exchange and OneDrive requires more than just removing accounts-it may involve deleting the backup service or data for those workloads.
To stop backing up Exchange and OneDrive, go to the Microsoft 365 admin center and navigate to the Microsoft 365 Backup section. Remove all accounts and mailboxes from the protection policy for both Exchange and OneDrive. This will lock their current size as the basis for charges until the backup data is automatically deleted over time.
Delete backup data for Exchange and OneDrive, open your backup management interface and find the backup services for each. Select the "Delete Backup" option for both and confirm when prompted. This starts a grace period, usually about 7 days, during which the data is temporarily retained in case you change your mind. After the grace period, the data is permanently deleted, and charges for these services should stop.
Do not remove SharePoint from your backup policies, only delete backup services for Exchange and OneDrive.
Charges should decrease after the grace period and after all restore points for Exchange and OneDrive have expired. If you continue to see charges, double-check that no Exchange or OneDrive accounts are still listed in your backup protection policies or data.
Reference:
Hope the above provided information help you resolve the issue, if you have any further concerns or queries, please feel free to reach out to us.
If the comment is helpful, please click "Upvote it".
-
WMPlumbing • 0 Reputation points
2025-05-08T02:09:26.3+00:00 Hi Srinivasa,
Thank you for your response, I had already done what you had noted except deleting the backup data for Exchange and OneDrive. The issue that I am having is to find backup management interface. I have gone through everything in Azure portal, can see the resource and costing but cannot locate where to find the backups and the data and delete it!
-
Srinivasa Reddy Jaggavarapu • 1,580 Reputation points • Moderator
2025-05-08T20:36:05.0166667+00:00 Hi WMPlumbing,
Based on your description, it sounds like the key step you are missing is accessing the backup management interface to delete the backup data for Exchange and OneDrive. Please follow below process step by step:
To access the Backup Management Interface in Azure, start by logging in to the Azure portal. Once you are logged in, use the search bar at the top to look for "Backup Center" and select it. In the Backup Center, navigate to the Vaults section and choose the vault that manages your Microsoft 365 backups.
Identify and delete protected items like Exchange and OneDrive backups, open the selected vault in the Azure portal and navigate to the "Backup Items" or "Protected Items" section. Here, you will see a list of all protected workloads. Select the backups for Exchange and OneDrive that you want to manage. Then, use the "Stop Backup" or "Delete Backup" option, and confirm the deletion when prompted.
Once you initiate deletion, Azure Backup retains the data for a grace period (typically 7 days) before it is permanently removed. Charges for Exchange and OneDrive backups will stop once the grace period ends and the data is fully deleted.
Confirm that SharePoint backups remain active by reviewing the "Backup Policies" section in your vault. Avoid modifying or deleting these policies to ensure SharePoint continues to be protected.
Hope the above provided information help you resolve the issue, if you have any further concerns or queries, please feel free to reach out to us.
If the comment is helpful, please click "Upvote it".
-
WMPlumbing • 0 Reputation points
2025-05-09T00:19:33.8133333+00:00 Hi Srinivasa,
I had a look at that earlier in Azure Portal. I went to Backup Centre and checked every option, there is no backup instances, vaults or backup jobs.
I have Global Admin permissions, and I had setup the backup using the same account, so I don't know why I don't see anything there!
-
WMPlumbing • 0 Reputation points
2025-05-09T01:32:21.62+00:00 Just thought, I use the Co-Pilot to ask the question, this is what it gave me, more confusion.
If you cannot find your Office 365 backup data in Azure, the most likely cause is a misunderstanding of how Azure Backup works with Microsoft 365. While Azure Backup is used for backing up Azure resources like virtual machines, it does not provide the primary backup solution for Office 365 data. Office 365 data is backed up by the Microsoft 365 Backup service itself, not through Azure Backup.
The data backed up by Microsoft 365 Backup is stored within the Office 365 tenant, not in a Recovery Services vault like you would see with Azure Backup.
-
Srinivasa Reddy Jaggavarapu • 1,580 Reputation points • Moderator
2025-05-09T18:51:14.4366667+00:00 Hi WMPlumbing,
It seems like you are not able to find the backup option under Microsoft 365 admin settings; to turn on the Microsoft 365 backup follow the below steps:
- In the Microsoft 365 admin center, select Setup.
- Under Billing and licenses, select Activate pay-as-you-go services.
- On the Activate pay-as-you-go services page, select Get started.
- On the Pay-as-you-go services page, select the Settings tab, and then select Syntex services.
- On the Syntex page, in the Storage section, select Backup.
- On the Backup panel, select Turn on.
On Turn on Backup panel, review the applicable terms of service for Microsoft 365, and then select **Save
Reference link:-**
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/backup/backup-setup?view=o365-worldwide#turn-on-microsoft-365-backupAfter enabling the backup option, you can find this under admin settings:
In the Backup blade, you can find the Backup Policy option and the Restoration Task option to manage the restore points for specific backup items.
Now you can be able to check whether the exchange and OneDrive for all users are getting backed up or not and also you able to find the restore points of all the backup items.
Hope the above provided information help you resolve the issue, if you have any further concerns or queries, please feel free to reach out to us.
If the comment is helpful, please click "Upvote it".
-
WMPlumbing • 0 Reputation points
2025-05-10T04:51:14.6833333+00:00 Hi Srinivasa,
The backup was turned on two months ago, I've been backing up SharePoint, Exchange and OneDrive, no issues. I've removed and paused backup for Exchange and OneDrive, and would like to only keep the SharePoint backup. Even though I've removed every user from OneDrive and Exchange backup, I am still being charged for the OneDrive and Exchange data that are already been backed up, for the next one year as I cannot get rid of it. All I need is to delete the old backup items that are no longer needed, I can't locate them in Azure. I've called Microsoft a couple of times and their tech cannot find it too. They told me they will escalate the ticket, and after a few days I get an email from Microsoft saying the issue has been resolved and the ticket is closed. This is obviously not true as they haven't given me a solution.
I can cancel the subscription, however I lose the SharePoint backup and I rather not to lose it.
-
James McNair • 5 Reputation points
2025-10-22T05:35:54.9+00:00 I'm having exactly the same issue - There is no option to remove any policies created so you can end up with endless amounts of unused backup policies that you can't delete within Microsoft 365 backup.
Sign in to comment