Remote Desktop Gateway frequent disconnects after KB5040430

Anonymous
2024-07-11T14:39:08+00:00

After installing KB5040430, we are seeing issues on the Server 2019 Remote Desktop Gateway on RDS.

All users get disconnected approximately every 30-60 minutes, and the following is logged in the Application log on the RD Gateway:

Faulting application name: svchost.exe_TSGateway, version: 10.0.17763.3346, time stamp: 0xb6a0daab

Faulting module name: aaedge.dll, version: 10.0.17763.6054, time stamp: 0xce1c5805

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x000000000005abe2

Faulting process id: 0x1db0

Faulting application start time: 0x01dad38ae65f65ae

Faulting application path: C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe

Faulting module path: c:\windows\system32\aaedge.dll

Report Id: bbb10a26-fc25-4bba-9ed8-45c2eff5f5ba

Faulting package full name: 

Faulting package-relative application ID: 

The system was operating normally before the Windows Update.

What steps can be taken to resolve this issue please?

Windows for business | Windows Server | Performance | System performance

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-09-25T12:53:11+00:00

    I have a Remote Desktop Gateway on a Windows Server 2022. Here the Windows service, Remote Desktop Gateway, kept crashing and users received the error code 0x300000d when trying to connect. Inspecting the event log on the server revealed this related error:

    svchost (1976,R,98) SoftwareUsageMetrics-Api: An attempt to open the file "C:\Windows\system32\LogFiles\Sum\Api.chk" for read / write access failed with system error 5 (0x00000005): "Access is denied. ".  
    

    Granting Modify access to the NETWORK SERVICE on the folder C:\Windows\system32\LogFiles\Sum resolved the issue. The RDG service now runs without crashing unexpectedly.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-09-25T13:57:56+00:00

    So it's September 25 and still no fix for this issue from Microsoft?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-09-27T16:47:58+00:00

    Would you be so kind and let us know if you have received an “out of band” update from support in the meantime. Unfortunately, I couldn't get any information from Microsoft with a case.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-09-27T16:57:09+00:00

    I was trying to get this Rollback.msi from this thread:

    Patch Tuesday Megathread (2024-07-09) : r/sysadmin (reddit.com)

    I wanted to get up to date information before trying it especially as this was from July. I am waiting a callback for confirmation but I got the impression I knew more about the issue than the tech that called me... :(

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-09-27T17:52:28+00:00

    I can confirm that the KIR from the Reddit article works on Server 2019 with the latest September CU. I was about to remove the KIR, but then found the known issue was not resolved in September's patch so I have left the KIR on.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments