Would you be so kind and let us know if you have received an “out of band” update from support in the meantime. Unfortunately, I couldn't get any information from Microsoft with a case.
Remote Desktop Gateway frequent disconnects after KB5040430
After installing KB5040430, we are seeing issues on the Server 2019 Remote Desktop Gateway on RDS.
All users get disconnected approximately every 30-60 minutes, and the following is logged in the Application log on the RD Gateway:
Faulting application name: svchost.exe_TSGateway, version: 10.0.17763.3346, time stamp: 0xb6a0daab
Faulting module name: aaedge.dll, version: 10.0.17763.6054, time stamp: 0xce1c5805
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000005abe2
Faulting process id: 0x1db0
Faulting application start time: 0x01dad38ae65f65ae
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe
Faulting module path: c:\windows\system32\aaedge.dll
Report Id: bbb10a26-fc25-4bba-9ed8-45c2eff5f5ba
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
The system was operating normally before the Windows Update.
What steps can be taken to resolve this issue please?
Windows for business | Windows Server | Performance | System performance
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
48 answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2024-09-27T16:47:58+00:00 -
Anonymous
2024-09-25T13:57:56+00:00 So it's September 25 and still no fix for this issue from Microsoft?
-
Anonymous
2024-09-25T12:53:11+00:00 I have a Remote Desktop Gateway on a Windows Server 2022. Here the Windows service, Remote Desktop Gateway, kept crashing and users received the error code 0x300000d when trying to connect. Inspecting the event log on the server revealed this related error:
svchost (1976,R,98) SoftwareUsageMetrics-Api: An attempt to open the file "C:\Windows\system32\LogFiles\Sum\Api.chk" for read / write access failed with system error 5 (0x00000005): "Access is denied. ".Granting Modify access to the NETWORK SERVICE on the folder C:\Windows\system32\LogFiles\Sum resolved the issue. The RDG service now runs without crashing unexpectedly.
-
Anonymous
2024-09-19T20:46:35+00:00 Personally, I am disabling updates for a month or so, or until I hear something more solid from forum users, like here, because I encountered 3 situations from these recent updates (RDS, DNS, and a time mismatch warning).
I disabled Windows Updates for now: Taps Windows > type Updates > choose Advanced Windows Update Options > turn Off "Auto download updates" and turn On "Temporarily pause updates..for 35 days.." You could also run services.msc and for service Windows Update you can Stop it & set startup type =Disabled. Of course, set yourself a calendar reminder to turn these back on in a month or so.
NOTE: When you turn off "Temporarily pause updates.." (the normal state), it will automatically trigger a download of needed/missing updates & you cannot abort it... so you'd need to uninstall whatever you didn't like that it auto-downloaded-and-installed, like kb5040430.Alternately, you could hide undesired updates ( https://download.microsoft.com/download/f/2/2/f22d5fdb-59cd-4275-8c95-1be17bf70b21/wushowhide.diagcab ) ((from https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windowserver/forum/all/download-show-and-hide-windows-updates-windows/5be445c1-a286-481f-a991-ab78c9a223c6 ))
-
Anonymous
2024-09-19T19:04:40+00:00 I've had KB5040430 uninstalled for a while now, but it looks like subsequent Cumulative Updates for Server 2016 are also being applied. So that means that these RDS servers cannot get patched until this issue is resolved? I've tried every work around I can find and nothing is working.