Remote Desktop Gateway frequent disconnects after KB5040430

Anonymous
2024-07-11T14:39:08+00:00

After installing KB5040430, we are seeing issues on the Server 2019 Remote Desktop Gateway on RDS.

All users get disconnected approximately every 30-60 minutes, and the following is logged in the Application log on the RD Gateway:

Faulting application name: svchost.exe_TSGateway, version: 10.0.17763.3346, time stamp: 0xb6a0daab

Faulting module name: aaedge.dll, version: 10.0.17763.6054, time stamp: 0xce1c5805

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x000000000005abe2

Faulting process id: 0x1db0

Faulting application start time: 0x01dad38ae65f65ae

Faulting application path: C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe

Faulting module path: c:\windows\system32\aaedge.dll

Report Id: bbb10a26-fc25-4bba-9ed8-45c2eff5f5ba

Faulting package full name: 

Faulting package-relative application ID: 

The system was operating normally before the Windows Update.

What steps can be taken to resolve this issue please?

Windows for business | Windows Server | Performance | System performance

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-10-09T08:34:03+00:00

    Apparently this has now been fixed in this month's update:
    KB5044281 Windows Server 2022

    KB5044277 Windows Server 2019

    KB5044293 Windows Server 2016

    "​​​​​​​**[Remote Desktop (known issue)]** Fixed: Windows Servers might disrupt Remote Desktop connections across your company. This issue might occur if you use a legacy protocol in the Remote Desktop Gateway. An example protocol is Remote Procedure Call over HTTP. If the issue occurs, it is sporadic, like every 30 minutes. At that point, you lose sessions that you are signed in to. Then you must reconnect to the server. IT admins can track this as an end to the TSGateway service. It stops responding, with the exception code 0xc0000005."

    Can anyone confirm this update has fixed the issue for them?

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-09-30T18:07:21+00:00

    Hello,

    I have now received the statement that the fix will not be included in the October updates, but will be released separately on October 15th.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-09-27T18:00:09+00:00

    Nor can I. One of our teams has an open ticket to Microsoft on this issue and Microsoft has ignored repeated attempts to get an update.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-09-27T17:52:28+00:00

    I can confirm that the KIR from the Reddit article works on Server 2019 with the latest September CU. I was about to remove the KIR, but then found the known issue was not resolved in September's patch so I have left the KIR on.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-09-27T16:57:09+00:00

    I was trying to get this Rollback.msi from this thread:

    Patch Tuesday Megathread (2024-07-09) : r/sysadmin (reddit.com)

    I wanted to get up to date information before trying it especially as this was from July. I am waiting a callback for confirmation but I got the impression I knew more about the issue than the tech that called me... :(

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments